Sunday, March 16, 2014

Basel, Switzerland

On Saturday we took a trip into the multilingual country of chocolate and cheese. We took the Deutsche Bahn directly into the three-quarters Swiss, one-quarter German city of Basel. The Rhein ran right through the city, separating the two nations.
It didn't take long to learn that Basel is a very expensive city. Even with the favorable Euro-to-Franck exchange rate, I still found myself paying nearly 10 euros for a block of raclette (I had to!). I was told that many people who live on the German-Swiss border work in Switzerland to avoid paying high taxes and buy their food in Germany where it's tremendously cheaper.
Between the four of us in our group, we came back to Deutschland with 1.5 kg of Leckerli, a must-have regional cookie similar to Lebkuchen or gingerbread!
Unfortunately we didn't stay too long since the weather was not very pleasant. Luckily I can go to Basel with the train for free on any day! I have to say, having the ability to travel to France or Switzerland pretty much whenever I feel like it is an amazing opportunity.

1 comment: