Sunday, March 30, 2014

Heidelberg

This Thursday, I returned to one of the most beautiful - and tourist-ridden - cities in Germany: Heidelberg. There is a German word that describes the city perfectly: Märchenhaft - fairytale, magical, picturesque. Heidelberg is an historic city nested in the Rhine Rift Valley in northern Baden-Württemberg. The Neckar splits the city in two distinct parts, connected by the Karl-Theodor Bridge which,  at the double-tower gate, meets the Altstadt (lit. old city) centered around the 500-year-old church. Overlooking the city is the medieval castle, which is believed to have been built exactly 800 years ago. On the other side of the river, the hills are vibrant with foliage and vineyards.






This time I went to meet up with a good friend from my year abroad up north. Three years ago, at the same time of year and possibly even on the same day, I was in Heidelberg with my dad. It wasn't too much different, but I did manage to find a new route through the castle grounds.

I would absolutely recommend going to Heidelberg in late March or early April, when the weather is beautiful and the tourists aren't there yet. If you go in May or in the summer, you're likely to find too many tourists.

I also recommend eating crepes right on the side of the church facing the Neckar. They were such good crepes that we saw a camera crew filming the guy who made them.


No comments:

Post a Comment